Healthy Summer Snacks
It’s super hot here in Texas, and I am constantly looking for healthy snacks that provide some hydration, freshness and nutrients for my two VERY busy and active boys who are both going through a growth spirt.
They could easily eat our pantry and refrigerator clean. As a mom who has a passion for being healthy, I want my boys to snack on healthy foods throughout the day. Here are 3 recipes that are both tasty and healthy!
Blackberry & Vanilla Yogurt Swirled Popsicles
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt, divide
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- Combine about half of the yogurt in a medium bowl with berries. Using a fork, mash together berries and yogurt enough to color the yogurt but still leave chunks of fruit.
- Alternating, spoon berry yogurt and plain yogurt into popsicle molds.
- Sliced chicken or turkey
- Sliced cheese
- Sea salt
- Begin by slicing the cucumber, tomato, and avocado into 1/4″ thick slices. You can add other veggies too if you like. I think red onion would be delicious!
- Cut the sliced chicken into 1/2″ wide pieces.
- Layer the veggies, cheese, and meat between the two cucumber slices and hold together with a toothpick. I added a bit of sea salt to tomato and cucumber as I stacked them.
Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
- 1 Pint Strawberries
- 2 Kiwi
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 of a Lemon
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Cinnamon (to your taste)
- 6 Tortillas, flour
Preheat oven to 400°F
- Remove caps from strawberries and peel kiwis and apple.
- Finely dice all fruit and mix together in a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and juice from half of a lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated overnight.
- Melt half a stick of butter in the microwave.
- Lay out 6 tortillas and brush butter over them, covering them completely. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over tortilla covering completely.
- 4 Cut tortillas into wedges and arrange on the baking sheet.
- 5 Bake for approximately 7 minutes or until crispy.