Jack-O-Lantern Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Photo by Beachbody
You can get so creative with some of your old recipes when it is Halloween! For example, check out my blog post about Healthy Halloween Snacks. There are some spooky ideas 👻 you might want to try…but don’t worry, they are still healthy and delicious.
So instead of baking your typical stuffed peppers, make them little Jack-O-Lantern peppers! All you have to do is cut out the inside of the pepper then cut out the eyes, nose and mouth just like a normal pumpkin Jack-O-Lantern. Thankfully, peppers are WAY easier to cut through so you don’t have to break a sweat in the kitchen. Hope you enjoy the process and the end product!
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 large sweet ORANGE bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Olive Oil spray
- 6 tbsp part skim shredded cheddar cheese*
Photo by Beachbody
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray olive oil spray in a medium nonstick skillet and heat on a medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro and saute about 2 minutes, add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through.
- Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked rice and meat together.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Make your Jack-O-Lantern face – Get as creative as you wish!
- Spoon 2/3 cup meat mixture into each pepper half and place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top each with 1 tbsp cheese. Pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and serve right away.
*check labels for gluten-free
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/2
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 221
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Sodium: 248mg
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 18g
Recipe from the skinnytaste blog.